8.03.2012

I Scream, You Scream

One of my biggest weaknesses is ice cream. I struggle with this weakness year round, but it is especially bad in the summer/warmer fall months. It didn't help this last month that I came across a top nine list of ice cream places in the Twin Cities. Of course my new goal now is to try every place before the snow comes. I've already had a couple of the places on the list, but it doesn't count because it wasn't documented. Andrew and I were hanging out with friends recently and we got the itch to have some ice cream. Naturally, I looked up the closest ice cream place on my top ten in the Twin Cities list, and it turns out they live just a mile from number five on the list: HomeTown Creamery. Of course we walked there and tried it out!

The HomeTown Creamery is located in North St. Paul, but they also travel to a number of festivals and events around the Twin Cities - over 40 events alone throughout the summer. Howie Walters is the owner and he said the shop is named "HomeTown" because of his family's connection to the community. All of their ice cream is homemade by Howie and they have won national awards for the basics: chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. But it's their uniquely-named ice cream that you've got to try, like Blind Love (caramel ice cream with Oreos, chocolate chunks and praline pecans), Peanut Butter Plunge and Blue Money, which Howie says is its own flavor. Howie isn't afraid to experiment, saying if a customer thinks of something, they'll make it. Their best sellers are Peanut Butter Plunge and Blind Love.

Here is a family of geese we passed on our walk there… this isn't even half of them, they were everywhere!

We made it!

After sampling the award winning Strawberry ice cream, Blind Love, and a few other flavors, I finally decided to get Pomegranate Passionfruit. It was delicious!

Andrew and I with our cones.

Becca and Billy with their cones.

The HomeTown Creamery.

The beautiful sunset on our way home.

The Hometown Creamery had very good ice cream.  I'm interested to see what place I think is the best once I've visited them all! Here's the list of the top nine ice cream places in the Twin Cities:

1. Adele's Frozen Custard in Excelsior
2. Conny's Creamy Cone in St. Paul
3. Edina Creamery in Edina
4. Grand Ole Creamery in St. Paul
5. HomeTown Creamery in North St. Paul
6. Izzy's Ice Cream in St. Paul
7. Pumphouse Creamery in Minneapolis
8. Sebastian Joe's in Minneapolis
9. Crema Cafe in Minneapolis

Let me know if you visit any and what your thoughts are!


3 comments:

  1. Mal, Sebastian Joes is AWESOME! We should go together before summer is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I would LOVE that! That's one of the ones I've been to before and it is a favorite! Let's totally go!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete