9.11.2012

September 11th, 2001

Eleven years ago on this day, I was at the Monticello Middle School in my seventh grade study hall when I heard the terrifying news of the attacks. As I sat paralyzed and not fully understanding what was happening, the principal came over the loud speaker and announced that the World Trade Center had been hit by a hijacked plane. Immediately the TV's in the room buzzed on and there it was in front of me, the image of the burning building gorged into my memory forever. I was terrified. I didn't know what all of this meant I just knew it wasn't good because of the way the teachers were scurrying about the school and trying to mask their own worry and fear. I sat there staring at the TV not able to look away as my heart was pounding like a drum.  I watched the second plane fly into the second building right before the bell startled me back into reality. The halls were chaos as students were running around talking about the attacks and the teachers were trying to calm the anxious students and heard them to their next class. As I was pushing my way through the hall my mom passed by me. (She used to volunteer a lot and she happened to be at my school that day.) When I saw the fear in her eyes I broke down crying because I knew then that it was more serious than I thought. She hugged me and assured me it would be ok.

The rest of the day is just a blur of a memory for me. I remember bits and pieces, like watching the towers fall in my classes, my history teacher telling us, "You will never forget where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news of the attacks on this day in history", the procedures we had to go through to prepare for evacuation since there's a nuclear power plant in my hometown. My history teacher was right. I remember that moment like it was yesterday and I will never forget the terror I felt. I cannot imagine how the people of New York felt that day. I remember praying for the people of New York, the Firemen and Police officers that risked their lives, and the families who lost loved ones before going to bed at night. I think it's important that we take some time out of our busy lives today to reflect on how lucky we are to have the freedom that we have today because of the brave individuals that have continuously risked their lives for our safety. I am proud to be an American and live in a country where we have heros that are willing to lay down their life for others. Thank you to everyone who has served and risked their life. Where were you on September 11th, 2001?



2 comments:

  1. I was in music class in 5th grade. Our principal came down to our classroom and told us two planes had flown into the twin towers. My first thought was, "What are the twin towers?" Then I thought, "Who would fly their little private planes into buildings, was it an accident?"

    As the teachers tried to go about the day as usual, us kids knew something was not quite right. I didn't realize the full gravity of the situation until I got home from school. My dad was home from work early, which was rare. My dad showed us the news. As I watched the towers fall into the ground I realized this was going to change America and the world. And it did. Remember 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Andy! Hope all is well with you!

      Delete